A surrogate mother can be a woman of a full legal age, under the condition of having own healthy child, and that she does it voluntarily as well as having filed a written application according to order # 787 of Health Ministry of Ukraine, and having no medical contraindications. If a potential surrogate mother is married, a written husband’s consent to the IVF program is necessary, which can be executed in a medical center.
Surrogate motherhood is the only chance of those women who have no uterus or suffer from serious diseases to have a genetically related child.
A surrogate mother shall carry a child she has no genetic relation to for the period of 9 months. Genetically and legally, a newborn is considered a child of a married couple whose embryo was transferred to the surrogate mother’s uterus.
Examination of a surrogate mother
A surrogate mother has to undergo a number of mandatory tests, namely:
- Blood typing and Rh factor (these values shall be valid during the whole life of a woman if indicated in her passport);
- Complete blood count;
- blood tests for RW, HIV, hepatitis B, C (valid for 3 months);
- blood tests (IgM, IgG) for toxoplasmosis, chlamydia, cytomegalovirus and rubella;
- bacterioscopic analysis of discharges (vaginal, urethral and from cervical canal);
- cervical smears cytology;
- complete pelvic examination;
- pelvic organs ultrasound;
- Anti-Mullerian Hormone (AMH), prolactin (PRL), follitropin (FSH), lutropin (LH), progesterone (P) and estradiol (E2) blood tests;
- Other tests required (according to the indications).
In addition, quite often it is required that the surrogate mother would have higher education, be intelligent and well bred. If a potential surrogate mother is married, then a husband’s written consent is required to the IVF program, which can be executed and signed in the medical center. When a suitable candidate is found, an individual surrogate motherhood program shall be elaborated.